What you need
- 3/4 cup Pauls Buttermilk, warmed
- 3 lge eggs, lightly beaten
- 85g unsalted butter, melted
- 4 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp (1 sachet) instant yeast
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- OPTIONAL: 2 tsp allspice
- 1 lge egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbs water
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbs Pauls Full Cream milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
How To Make It
1. Combine buttermilk, eggs & butter in a large measuring cup. Mix 4 cups of flour, sugar, yeast, allspice (if using) and salt in a mixer (with a dough hook). Mix on low speed, and add the buttermilk mixture until a dough forms (1 min).
2. Increase speed to medium-low and knead until dough is smooth and elastic (10 mins). After five minutes, add the remaining ¼ cup flour (if needed, 1 tablespoon at a time), until the dough clears the side of the bowl but sticks to the bottom.
3. Knead dough on counter (by hand) to form a smooth ball (1 min). Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and wrap tightly in cling wrap. Leave in warm place to rise, until doubled in size (2-2.5 hrs).
4. Divide dough into 12 even pieces on lightly-floured bench top and roll into small balls. Arrange the balls in a greased 20x30cm baking dish and wrap tightly in cling wrap. Leave in warm place to rise, until rolls have doubled in size (1-1.5 hrs).
5. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Using a sharp knife, cut an X through the top 0.5cm of each bun. Whisk together egg and water, and brush over buns. Bake until golden and puffed (25-30 mins)
6. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Whisk together the sugar, milk, and vanilla, and drizzle in the X grooves of the buns.
Serve and enjoy!