What you need
- 1 cup Pauls Full Cream Milk
- 2 cups Pauls Regular Thickened Cream
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
- Pinch of salt
- 4 large eggs, yolks only and whisked
- ½ cup chocolate chips
How To Make It
- Make an ice bath in a large metal dish.
- Pour half the cream into a separate smaller metal dish and place into the ice bath.
- In a medium sized saucepan over a low heat, combine the milk, remaining cream, sugar and salt. Whilst continuously stirring, cook the mixture until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and set aside and allow to cool slightly.
- Place the egg yolks into a separate metal dish. Whilst continuously whisking gently, slowly pour in the milk mixture. It’s important to ensure that the milk mixture isn’t too hot and also that you do continuously whisk so that the eggs don’t scramble.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and place over a medium heat. Continuously stir the mixture for around 5 minutes or until it thickens. You should be able to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Stir through the peanut butter until combined.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve into the cream bowl over the ice bath. Stir for 5 minutes or until the mixture cools. Add in the chocolate pieces, wrap with cling wrap and place into the fridge to cool completely.
- If you’re making the ice cream without a machine, place a rectangular metal dish into the freezer to freeze.
- Pour the ice cream mixture into the tray and place back into the freezer for roughly 20 minutes or until the edges start to freeze. As they do, remove the tray from the freezer and whisk vigorously for 5 minutes with a spatula or whisk to break up the frozen pieces. Return back to the freezer.
- Repeat this process 4 or 5 times. You want the mixture to be smooth and creamy.
- Once satisfied, remove the mixture from the tray and place into a sealable container.
- Of course if you have an ice cream machine, follow the same steps up to step 8 then follow the instructions on the ice cream machine